Designed to meet international standards, measures 35 meters in width and 40 meters in length, featuring a shock-absorbing wooden floor that is ideally suited for sporting performances, and equipped lights for day and night. It includes several facilities, such as a VIP room, a referee room, two media rooms, and a restaurant capable of seating 40 guests, four air-conditioned women’s changing rooms, four air-conditioned men’s changing rooms, and a cafeteria. The indoor stadium has a seating capacity of over 5000, ensuring comfortable accommodation for spectators. Additionally, there are two digital scoreboards located in the top two corners, equipped with digital clocks. The arena is equipped with two types of air conditioning systems to meet the specific requirements of clients. It offers infrastructure and equipment for various sports, including Netball, Volleyball, Basketball, Gymnastics, as well as recreational activities like large-scale international musical shows, reality shows, and conventions. Furthermore, it provides facilities for gatherings, meetings, and more.
The facility was a brainchild of V.A. Sugathadasa, the former Mayor of Colombo Municipal Council and the first Minister of Sports in Sri Lanka and construction of the Sugathadasa Outdoor Stadium commenced on January 16, 1957 and completed on December 16, 1962. Subsequent to various other development initiatives, the Sugathadasa National Sports Complex was entrusted to the Ministry of Sports as a trust fund with effect from 1st of February 1995 and the Act No. 17 of 1999 was submitted to the Parliament of Sri Lanka on 20th April 1999 for incorporating it as the Sugathadasa National Sports Complex.