Bogambara Stadium was renovated into a stadium in 1972, thanks to the Special Commissionership of M. B. Samarakoon, who initiated the renovation work with support from local politicians such as E. L. Senanayake, Noel Wimalasena, Shelton Ranaraja, and E. W. Balasuriya, a local sports promoter and philanthropist, who assisted in raising donations. In 1997 the Bogambara stadium was upgraded to an international standard stadium, at a cost of Rs. 89 million, with 75% of the funding coming from the Kandy District Sports Development Foundation, chaired by Anuruddha Ratwatte, the Deputy Minister of Defence.It was re-developed under the patronage of the municipal council and presently the Sports Ministry owns the premises. The ground fees are on the higher side and the less affluent football and hockey clubs are finding it difficult to keep the game alive. Bogambara Stadium serves as a venue for various sports, including rugby, football, hockey, athletics, netball, basketball, softball, and cricket.
The facility was a brainchild of V.A. Sugathadasa, the former Mayor of Colombo Municipal Council and the first Minister of Sports in Sri Lanka and construction of the Sugathadasa Outdoor Stadium commenced on January 16, 1957 and completed on December 16, 1962. Subsequent to various other development initiatives, the Sugathadasa National Sports Complex was entrusted to the Ministry of Sports as a trust fund with effect from 1st of February 1995 and the Act No. 17 of 1999 was submitted to the Parliament of Sri Lanka on 20th April 1999 for incorporating it as the Sugathadasa National Sports Complex.