History of Sugathadasa National Sports Complex Authority
Being a concept of Mr V.A. Sugathadasa, the former Mayor of Colombo Municipal Council and the first Minister of Sports in Sri Lanka, the Sugathadasa Outdoor Stadium was erected on January 16, 1957. Construction of the Sugathadasa Outdoor Stadium was completed on December 16, 1962 and it was opened to first sports events within week time.
With the passing of time, the Sugathadasa Stadium had to be restructured, but at the time the CMC whom stadium was in its guardianship, could not improve it. The Prime Minister and Minister of Housing and Constructions Mr Ranasinghe Premadasa took up the challenge of modifying the Sugathadasa Stadium.
The estimated total cost is Rs. 30 million. Mr Ranasinghe Premadasa did not did not allow to spend Government funds and set up a fund to develop the Sugathadasa Stadium. 333 of sports lovers have contributed funds where the highest contributor was Mr Cayk Shamseedin Abdullah Al-Fassi who granted Rs 6 million and smallest contribution was Rs10 of Mr K K Hemachandra. Later on printed booklets having enlisted contributors’ names was published.
The Colombo Municipal Council, the Urban Development Authority, the State Engineering Corporation and the Nawaloka Group of the private sector, together with the funds, develop the Sugathadasa Stadium up to standard of International Stadium which consist of VIP Grand Stand, Main Pavilion and Tiers able to accommodate nearly 30,000 spectators. The main pavilion has been named as Mr Seik Shamshdeen Abdullah Al-Faazi to commonate the biggest contributor to the project.
Later on, Mitsui Company of Japan built the Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium on a Japanese-donation, and it was inaugurated in 1991 by the President of Sri Lanka, Ranasinghe Premadasa.
Establishment of Sugathadasa National Sports Complex Authority
Establishment of the Sugathadasa National Sports Complex Authority
- The Sugathadasa National Sports Complex had been assigned to the Ministry of Sports as a trust fund with effect from 01.02.1995
- Act No. 17 of 1999 for incorporating it as the Sugathadasa National Sports Complex was submitted to the Parliament of Sri Lanka on the 20th April 1999.
- The said Act had been passed at the Parliament with effect from 01.09.1999 and Sugathadasa National Sports Complex Authority established.
- Act No. 14/2017 Amendment has made on 18th August 2017 to the Sugathadasa National Sports Complex Act.
- Management activities of the Authority are carried out by a Board of Management appointed by the Hon. Minister of Sports and the Board is comprised of the following members.
1.Chairman – appointed by the Minister in charge of Sports.
2.Working Director – appointed by the Minister in charge of Sports. (Under patronage of Act No. 14/2017 Amendment)
3.Secretary or a representative of the Ministry which is under the purview of the Minister in charge of Sports.
4.Director General of Sports appointed under the Sports Act No. 25 of 1973 of National State Council.
5.A representative of the General Treasury.
6.In addition, six (06) members are appointed by the Minister in charge of Sports.
Towards a Premier National Centre for Providing Sports and Recreation facilities in the Region.
Providing venue facilities for national and international sports championships/festivals and to liaise and establish links with international and national sports training institutions/schools to develop sports and recreation facilities in Sri Lanka to uplift the standard of sports.
The responsibilities and functions of this Authority
- Taking necessary steps to manage and maintain the authority and to safeguard it as a national asset.
- Maintenance of all amenities and services.
- Make necessary improvements or alternations to the buildings and structures.
- Providing facilities subject to such conditions imposed by the board of management to enable the citizens of Sri Lanka and in particular the youths (Male/Female) of Sri Lanka to improve their individual skills in sports and physical fitness and health.
- Conducting training course and programs particularly with a view to improve sports in the rural sector.
- Providing the necessary facilities subject to the condition imposed by the Board of Management to conduct national and international events.
- Establishing coordination and cooperation with national and international sports training organizations and sports institutions with a view of developing sports and recreational facilities in Sri Lanka.
- Providing the facilities available in the Authority to Schools, Youth Sports Clubs, and Sports Organizations subject to the condition imposed by the Board of Management at reasonable charges.
The following activities will be undertaken in order to carry out the above responsibilities, the Authority is to provide services and facilities to sports clubs, school sports clubs, and to private institutions similar to the state at concessionary rates approved by the Board of Management.
- To provide the necessary infrastructure to train the sportsmen and women for national and international track and field competitions.
- To provide the necessary facilities to hold international level competition during day and night.
- To provide the necessary facilities for giving infrastructure to under privileged schools and talented sportsmen and women with lesser facilities at rural level come forward by improving their sports skills.
- To provide the swimming and diving pools facilities to conduct national and international level swimming competitions.
- To provide the necessary facilities to conduct examinations, Seminars Conferences, Functions and Recreations.
- To Organize training workshops
Indoor Stadium Site Map
Outdoor Stadium Site Map